Tarmo Tamm is the Minister of Rural Affairs of the Republic of Estonia from 12 December 2016. He is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
- From 2015-2016, Tarmo was a member of the 13th Riigikogu as the Vice-Chairman of the Finance Committee.
- From 2014-2015, he was a member of the 12th Riigikogu as the Vice-Chairman of the Constitutional Committee.
- From 1999-2013, Tarmo Tamm acted as a member of the Põlva City Council and from 1991-1999, as a member of the Põlva Rural Municipality.
- From 1999-2011, Tarmo Tamm served as the Mayor of Põlva.
- From 1993-1999, he served as the Mayor of Põlva Municipality.
- From 1976-1993, Tarmo Tamm worked as the workshop manager of Põlva Agro.
- Tamm was born in the Kiuma village on 3 December 1953, he graduated from the Technical School of the Tihemetsa State Farm in the field of mechanization in 1974 and from the Estonian University of Life Sciences as an agrarian economist in 2007.
Minister of Rural Affairs
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- Minister of Rural Affairs works for the sustainable development of Estonia’s rural affairs as well as agriculture and fishery.
- Minister of Rural Affairs leads the Ministry of rural Affairs and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Rural Affairs to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- Minister of Rural Affairs appoints Estonia’s representatives to European Union institutions engaged in its area of government, such as the Community Plant Variety Office and the European Food Safety Authority.
- Minister of Rural Affairs appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- Minister of Rural Affairssubmits proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- Minister of Rural Affairs decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Agriculture
- Is engaged in the planning and implementation of rural, agricultural, and fisheries policy.
- Co-ordinates the activities related to animal and plant protection.
- Prepares national programs for agricultural applied sciences and manages their performance and impact assessment; additionally, participates in shaping national vocational and higher education policy.
- Manages agricultural research and development activities and agricultural education.
- Co-ordinates Estonia’s rural policy and implements the European Union's (EU) Common Agricultural Policy and Estonia’s rural development plan.
- Develops the market orientation of the farmers and works for the sustainability of agricultural production.
- Plans and implements Estonia’s fisheries policy with an aim to develop the fishing industry and increase its competitiveness.
- Shapes the fields of Estonia’s feed safety, animal health, and farm animal breeding.
- Organises the assurance of food safety and conformity.