Jaak Aab is the Minister of Public Administration of the Republic of Estonia as of 12 June 2017. He is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
- From 2016-2017, Jaak Aab was Secretary General of the Estonian Centre Party, and from 2015-2016 he was an adviser to the Estonian Centre Party group in the Riigikogu.
- From 2012-2015, Jaak Aab worked as a consultant to various local governments of the Republic of Finland.
- From 2007-2011, Jaak Aab was a member of the 11th composition of the Riigikogu of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 2005-2007, Jaak Aab was Minister of Social Affairs of the Government of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 2003-2005, Jaak Aab worked as Executive Director of the Association of Estonian Cities and Towns, and from 2002-2003 he was also a member of the 9th composition of the Riigikogu.
- From 1998-2002, Jaak Aab was Mayor of Võhma, and from 1994-1998 he was Deputy Mayor of Võhma.
- In addition, from 1994-1998, he worked as an economics teacher in Võhma Gymnasium (upper-secondary school), and from
1989-1991 he was headteacher of Võhma Gymnasium.
- From 1988-1989, Jaak Aab was First Secretary of the Viljandi District Committee of ELKNÜ (Committee of the Leninist Communist Youth League of Estonia), and from 1985-1988 he was a teacher and youth recreation leader at Võhma Gymnasium. From 1984-1985 he was a teacher at Ala Basic School.
- Jaak Aab, who was born on 9 April 1960 in Taagepera, is a graduate of Viljandi 5th Secondary School, and of Tallinn Pedagogical Institute, where he specialised in Russian Language and Literature.
Minister of Public Administration
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Public Administration is responsible for matters related to the civil service, state assets and public procurement, the government internal audit system, local and regional development, planning and coordinating regional administration and spatial planning. The minister will report to the Government of the Republic on activities in his areas of responsibility and make proposals on matters concerning the ministry’s area of government.
- Minister of Public Administration appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- Minister of Public Administration makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- Minister of Public Administration decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Finance
- Is the Government’s expert in the implementation of financial and budgetary policy and the targeting of the economy.
- Plans the tax and customs policy and maintains a stable tax system.
- Prepares economic analyses and forecasts.
- Consults procurers and tenderers in conducting public procurements and monitors public procurement.
- Collects official statistics.
- Co-ordinates and manages the implementation of the internal control system in the Government and the professional activities of an internal auditor.
- Performs public accounting and manages the national daily cash flow.
- Places the state’s financial assets and liabilities, administers the external aid and loans granted to the state, and co-ordinates the sharing of benefits allocated to Estonia.
- Develops the financial and insurance policy.