Sven Mikser is the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. He has been a member of the Social Democratic Party since 2005.
- In 2015-2016, Sven Mikser was a member of the 13th Riigikogu and served as the Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee.He was a member of the Riigikogu Delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
- In 2014-2015, Sven Mikser was the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 1999-2014, Mikser was a member of the 9th, 10th, 11th, and the 12th Riigikogu. From 2011-2014, Mikser performed the duties of the chairman of the Social Democratic Party’s fraction and served as a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
- From 2007-2011, Mikser was the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu and from 2003-2005, the chairman of the National Defence Committee of the Riigikogu.
- From 2003-2014, Mikser belonged to the Estonian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly. From 2008–2010, he served as the Vice President of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly.
Minister of Foreign Affairs
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs co-ordinates the fields related to Estonia’s foreign relations and represents Estonia in foreign relations.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs leads the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and decides on the matters within the Ministry's area of government. Additionally, the Minister of Foreign Affairs reports on the activities of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to the Government of the Republic and submits appropriate proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs appoints Estonian chargé d'affaires and the heads of consular posts and submits requests to the Government to appoint ambassadors and release them from office,as well as to confer and withdraw diplomatic ranks.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs submits, in co-operation with the Minister of Justice, the candidate judges of international courts to the Government for approval.
- The Minister of Foreign Affairs submits proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Plans and implements the basic guidelines for Estonia’s foreign policy and co-ordinates Estonia’s foreign relations.
- Leads Estonia’s foreign agencies and makes proposals to the Government on the establishment and closing of Estonia’s diplomatic agencies.
- Co-ordinates the shaping of Estonia’s visa policy, organises the issue of visas in co-operation with the Ministry of the Interior and is engaged in consular operations.
- Protects the interests of the Republic of Estonia and its citizens as well as companies in foreign countries and international organisations.
- Establishes foreign contacts in order to strengthen the international foreign investment, tourism, and export position of Estonian companies.
- Plans development and humanitarian programmes in co-operation with other organisations and countries and leads international assistance on behalf of Estonia.
- Organises the representation of the Republic of Estonia in international courts and other international dispute settlement institutions.
- Manages the protocol of the national holiday celebrations, the conduction of important foreign visits, and the receiving of honoured guests.
- Makes relevant proposals to the Government on the implementation of international sanctions