Toomas Tõniste is the Minister of Finance of the Republic of Estonia from 12 June 2017. He is a member of Pro Patria and Res Publica Union.
- 2016–2017 Toomas Tõniste was Chairman of the Supervisory Board of EVR Cargo.
- 2008–2011 He was a Member of the Supervisory Board of the State Forest Management Centre.
- 2007–2015 Toomas Tõniste was a Member of the 11th and 12th Riigikogu (Parliament of Estonia), also serving as Chairman of the Economic Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu.
- 2002–2003 He was a member of Tallinn City Council.
- Toomas Tõniste is also the Chairman of Viimsi Rural Municipality Council, and from 2006–2007 he was a member of Tallinn City Council and Chairman of the Pro Patria group on the City Council.
- Since 2005, Toomas Tõniste has been Chairman of the Board of OÜ Laste Maailm. He has also been a Member of the Board of OÜ Breting since 1996, and a Member of the Board of AS LTT since 1993.
- Toomas Tõniste was born on 26 April 1967, in Tallinn. He attended Tallinn Secondary School No. 42, and graduated from Tallinn University, specialising in physical education.
Minister of Finance
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Finance is the manager of public finance, who co-ordinates budgetary and fiscal policy.
- The Minister of Finance leads the Ministry of Finance and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Finance to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- The Minister of Finance appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Finance makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Finance decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Finance
- Is the Government’s expert in the implementation of financial and budgetary policy and the targeting of the economy.
- Plans the tax and customs policy and maintains a stable tax system.
- Prepares economic analyses and forecasts.
- Consults procurers and tenderers in conducting public procurements and monitors public procurement.
- Collects official statistics.
- Co-ordinates and manages the implementation of the internal control system in the Government and the professional activities of an internal auditor.
- Performs public accounting and manages the national daily cash flow.
- Places the state’s financial assets and liabilities, administers the external aid and loans granted to the state, and co-ordinates the sharing of benefits allocated to Estonia.
- Develops the financial and insurance policy.