Rene Tammist is the Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology of the Republic of Estonia from 22 August 2018. He is a member of the Social Democratic Party.
- From 2012 to 2018, Rene Tammist was a Member of the Board of the European Union’s Agency for the Cooperation of Energy Regulators.
- From 2011 to 2018, Tammist was the Head of The Estonian Renewable Energy Association.
- From 2007 to 2009, he was a Member of the Supervisory Board of Eesti Energia.
- From 2005 to 2011 Tammist worked as an adviser to the Group of the Progressive Alliance of Socialists and Democrats in the Committee on Industry, Research, and Energy of the European Parliament.
- Born on 5 July 1978 in Tartu, Tammist graduated from the University of Tartu in 2001 with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration and from the University of Manchester in 2004 with a Master’s degree.
Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology
The minister is assigned to and released from office by the President of the Republic on the Prime Minister’s proposal.The Prime Minister shall determine the competence of ministers in directing the ministries and the areas of responsibility of the ministers by an order.
- The Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology manages the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications in their area of responsibility.
- The Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology is responsible for supporting the development of entrepreneurship, arranging export development and trade security measures, involvement of investments, technological development activities, innovation, construction and housing, tourism, information science, telecommunications, postal services, and coordinating the development of state information systems, as well as creating and implementing economic development plans in these areas.
- The Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology is also responsible for foreign trade and coordinating the activities of the respective structural units of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The area of responsibility of the Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology involves the Information System Authority, the Estonian Development Fund (being liquidated), the Estonian Internet Foundation, Enterprise Estonia, the State Infocommunication Foundation, the Ida-Viru County Industrial Areas Development Foundation, the KredEx foundation, the Tallinn Science Park Tehnopol Foundation, the Estonian Intellectual Property and Technology Transfer Centre, the Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions, Eesti Post AS, and KredEx Krediidikindlustus AS.
- The Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology represents Estonia on issues of foreign trade in the Foreign Affairs Council, on issues of information technology in the Competitiveness Council, and on issues of information technology and telecommunications in the Transport, Telecommunications, and Energy Council of the European Union.
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
- Works to create conditions for increasing the competitiveness of the Estonian economy, and balanced and sustainable development through the development, implementation, and evaluation of results of national economic policy.
- Exercises the rights of a shareholder or a partner in companies, whose shares or units it rules.
- Administers the minimum stock of national liquid fuel.
- Develops and carries out national See economic policy and economic development plans, and ensures that they are consistent with national priorities.
- Works in the name of enhancing the volume of technological development activities and raising innovation capability of businesses.
- Manages consumer protection and competition supervision.
- Develops and implements plans contributing to the development of public transport and enhancing the environmental friendliness and traffic safety of vehicles.
- Develops export and organises trade defence measures and is engaged in the matters related to regional business development.
- Co-ordinates the development of national information systems.