Mailis Reps is the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. She is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
- From 2015 to 2016, Mailis Reps was a member of the 13th Riigikogu and the Vice-Chairman of the Estonian Centre Party faction.
In 2013, Mailis Reps was elected to Tallinn City Council (also in 2009 and 2005).
- From 2011 to 2015, Mailis Reps was a member of the 12th Riigikogu and the Vice-Chairman of the faction. From 2007 to 2011, she was a member of the 11th Riigikogu and served as the Vice-Chairman of the Cultural Affairs Committee.
From 2005–2007, Mailis Reps was the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia.
From 2003 to 2007, Mailis Reps was a member of the 10th Riigikogu.
From 2002 to 2003, Mailis Reps was the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia.
In 2002, Mailis Reps was elected as a member of Tartu City Council.
From 2000 to 2009, Mailis Reps lectured on European and International Law and on International and Comparative Law at Riga Graduate School of Law.
From 2000 to 2001, Mailis Reps was a trainee of the Training Department of the Directorate-General for Personnel and Administration of the European Commission (Belgium).
From 1997 to 1998, Mailis Reps was an advisor to the Rector of Nord University (Akadeemia Nord) and an assistant at the Department of Public Law.
From 1996 to 1997, Mailis Reps was an assistant at the Informatics Centre of Kalamazoo College.
From 1995 to 1996, Mailis Reps served as a project manager of ASEED Europe and YWD (Amsterdam).
In 1995, Mailis Reps was an advisor of the International Groups of Cambridge University, Trinity College, and Studio English College.
Born on 13 January 1975, Mailis Reps graduated from Tallinn Co-education Gymnasium (former Tallinn Secondary School No. 20) in 1992. She has also graduated from Tallinn Bachelor’s Private School in 1993 (gymnasium), Kalamazoo College (Michigan, USA) in 1997, Social Sciences; Nord University (Akadeemia Nord), Law (Bachelor’s degree, cum laude) in 1998; Central European University (Budapest), Master’s degree in Law, 1999 (cum laude); Maastricht University, Master’s degree in European Public Relations, 2000 (cum laude).
MMailis Reps is currently obtaining a PhD in European Law from Uppsala University.
Minister of Education and Research
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Education and Research is responsible for purposeful and effective development of education, research, youth, and language policy and co-ordinates high-level development activities and ensuring competitiveness.
- The Minister of Education and Research leads the Ministry of Education and Research and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Education and Research to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Minister of Education and Research appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Education and Research makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry’s budget and supplementary budget, if appropriate. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Education and Research decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Education and Research
- Plans and carries out education, research, youth, and language policy.
- Develops national development plans in the policy areas belonging to its area of government and ensures their consistency with national and sectorial development plans.
- Performs state supervision over the compliance of national curricula and other educational standards and educational institutions.
- Develops national curricula and other educational standards and organises their preparation and accreditation.
- Regulates, among other things, the activities of the Language Inspectorate and the National Archives of Estonia.
- Has to ensure purposeful and effective development of adult education and the occupational qualifications system.
- Determines the optimal volume and structure of state benefits and state-commissioned education.
- Co-ordinates transnational recognition of academic degrees.
- Is engaged in the development and implementation of the funding system of research and development activities meeting the needs of the state.