Jüri Luik is Minister of Defence of the Estonian Republic as of 12 June 2017. Jüri Luik is a member of the Isamaa Party.
- Immediately before assuming the office of Minister of Defence, Jüri Luik was Political Affairs Undersecretary in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- From 2015-2017 he was Director of the International Centre for Defence and Security.
- From 2012-2015 Jüri Luik was Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Moscow.
- From 2007-2012 he was Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Estonia to NATO.
- From 2003-2007 Luik was the Estonian Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Washington.
- From 2002-2003 he headed the Estonian delegation in negotiations to join NATO, at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- From 1999-2002 Jüri Luik was Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 1996-1999 Jüri Luik was Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Brussels.
- From 1995-1996 Luik was a Senior Research Fellow at the Carnegie Foundation in Washington.
- From 1994-1995 Jüri Luik was Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 1993-1994 Jüri Luik was Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia.
- From 1992-1993 he headed the delegation in the Estonia-Russia negotiations as a Minister without Portfolio.
- From 1992 he was a member of the Riigikogu and in 1991 he was the head of the International Organisations Bureau of the Political Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, later also becoming the Director General of the Department.
- From 1990-1991 Jüri Luik was a referent for Anglo-Saxon countries at the Estonian Institute.
- From 1988-1990 he was Political Editor of Vikerkaar magazine.
- Born on 17 August 1966 in Tallinn, Jüri Luik is a graduate in Journalism from the University of Tartu. He has been awarded the diplomatic rank of Ambassador.
Minister of Defence
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Defence is responsible for the organisation of national defence in the Republic of Estonia.
- The Minister of Defence leads the Ministry of Defence and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Defence to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- The Minister of Defence appoints service commanders and makes a proposal to the Government to appoint the Commander of the Defence Forces and the Chief of the General Staff of the Defence Forces and release them from office.
- The Minister of Defence appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Defence makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if appropriate. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Defence decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Defence
- Organises national defence and makes proposals for national defence policy in this context.
- Develops the overall plan of national defence.
- Co-ordinates international defence co-operation.
- Organises the preparation and management of the mobilisation and calls for military conscription.
- Calculates the Defence Forces reserves and organises training sessions.
- Finances and equips the activities of the Defence Forces and the Defence League.
- Develops the Estonian defence industry.
- Supervises the activities of the Defence Forces and the Defence League.
- Regulates, among other things, the activities of the Information Board and the Defence Resources Agency.