Indrek Saar is the Minister of Culture of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. He is a member of the Social Democratic Party.
- Indrek Saar was also the Minister of Culture of the Republic of Estonia from 2015–2016.
- In 2007–2015, Indrek Saar was a member of the XI and XII Riigikogu.
- In 2006–2007, he was the Executive Director of Theatre NO99/Vanalinnastuudio (Old Town Studio). Prior to this (in 2004–2005), he acted as adviser to the director of the theatre.
- In 2002–2007, he was the Deputy Chairman of Rakvere City Council.
- Saar has also worked as the Director of Rakvere Theatre in 1996–2005, and as the Manager of the Rakvere Theatre House Foundation in 2005–2006.
- Born in Kuressaare on 20 February 1973, Indrek Saar graduated from Kuressaare Secondary School No. 2, and from the Higher Theatre School of the Estonian Academy of Music in acting.
Minister of Culture
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Culture heads the Ministry of Culture and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Culture to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Minister of Culture approves the cultural recognition of cultural heritage objects and the exclusion of such objects from monument status.
- The Minister of Culture manages the Council of the Cultural Endowment of Estonia and approves the memberships of the endowment panels, for example, the Endowment Panel of Folk Culture.
- The Minister of Culture makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, when necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Culture decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Culture
- Manages national culture and sports, the promotion of arts, and the resolution of problems related to these areas.
- Develops the principles for national funding of culture and sports and co-operates with the Cultural Endowment and other institutions supporting culture and sports.
- Awards national cultural prizes and scholarships.
- Determines the general patterns for sports and physical fitness and manages co-operation between various sports organisations.
- Develops the creative economy in collaboration with other ministries.
- Is responsible for the co-ordination of all national heritage conservation activities.
- Issues broadcasting licences.
- Supports the culture of national minorities and the organisation of their cultural life and activities.
- Prepares draft legislation related to its area of government and takes care of their compliance with the Constitution and other laws.