Tanel Kiik is the Minister of Social Affairs of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019. He is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
Tanel Kiik was born on 23 January 1989 in Tallinn. He is married and a father of one. Kiik has been a member of the Estonian Abstinence Association as of 2007.
- In 2016–2019, Kiik served as Head of the Prime Minister’s Office of the Government Office.
- In 2012–2016, Kiik served as an advisor to the Vice-President of the Riigikogu.
- In 2010–2012, Kiik was the sales associate of RE/MAX Professionals real estate.
- In 2007–2009, Kiik was the information specialist of the Estonian Centre Party.
Tanel Kiik graduated from the University of Tartu Pärnu College in entrepreneurship and project management in 2016 (cum laude). He has not finished his Master’s studies at the University of Tartu Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies, which started in the same year. Speaks Estonian, English, and German.
Minister of Social Affairs
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Social Affairs leads the Ministry of Social Affairs and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Social Affairs to the Government of the Republic and submits appropriate proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government
- The Minister of Social Affairs appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Social Affairs is always the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Estonian Health Insurance Fund.
- The Minister of Social Affairs makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry’s budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. He decides on the use of budget resources and is responsible for the purposeful use of funds allocated by the European Union and other foreign aid. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the area of government of the Ministry of Social Affairs.
- The Minister of Social Affairs decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
- The Minister of Social Affairs is responsible for the national family policy to provide children and families with children the best possible quality of life.
Ministry of Social Affairs
- Prepares the national social problem solving plans and manages their implementation.
- Plans and implements policies in the field of social protection and ensures the timely and targeted determination and payment of social security benefits.
- Leads social security and welfare.
- Develops and implements work and employment policy to ensure long-term work efficiency and employment.
- Manages the protection of public health and health care.
- Promotes equal treatment and equality between women and men to ensure that various social groups would be involved in community life.
- Is engaged in the subjects of the social security and welfare of disabled persons.
- Co-ordinates the shaping of the children's rights and child protection policy and organises international adoption.
- Shapes family policy, with a priority given to the balancing of work and private life, and parental education.