Mart Järvik was the Minister of Rural Affairs of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019 until 25 November 2019. He is a member of the Conservative People’s Party of Estonia.
Mart Järvik was born on 21 February 1956 in Käru. He is married and a father to a son and a daughter. Järvik became a member of the Estonian Conservative People’s Party in 2015. He was awarded with the Medal of merits of the Estonian Defence League for special merits in 2010.
- As of 2017, he is a member of the Kehtna Rural Municipality Council.
- In 2010–2014, he served as Deputy Chairman of the Association of Estonian Cities.
- In 2002–2017, he was the Rural Municipality Mayor of Järvakandi.
- in 1999–2017, he was a member of the Järvakandi Rural Municipality Council.
- As of 1991, he has been the head of the Rassi farm.
Mart Järvik graduated from the Tihemetsa Sovkhoz Technical School in agricultural mechanisation in 1975, from the University of Tartu Türi College in environmental sciences in 2009, and from the University of Tartu in environmental management in 2011. He speaks Estonian, English, Russian, and Finnish.
Minister of Rural Affairs
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- Minister of Rural Affairs works for the sustainable development of Estonia’s rural affairs as well as agriculture and fishery.
- Minister of Rural Affairs leads the Ministry of rural Affairs and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Rural Affairs to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- Minister of Rural Affairs appoints Estonia’s representatives to European Union institutions engaged in its area of government, such as the Community Plant Variety Office and the European Food Safety Authority.
- Minister of Rural Affairs appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- Minister of Rural Affairssubmits proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- Minister of Rural Affairs decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Agriculture
- Is engaged in the planning and implementation of rural, agricultural, and fisheries policy.
- Co-ordinates the activities related to animal and plant protection.
- Prepares national programs for agricultural applied sciences and manages their performance and impact assessment; additionally, participates in shaping national vocational and higher education policy.
- Manages agricultural research and development activities and agricultural education.
- Co-ordinates Estonia’s rural policy and implements the European Union's (EU) Common Agricultural Policy and Estonia’s rural development plan.
- Develops the market orientation of the farmers and works for the sustainability of agricultural production.
- Plans and implements Estonia’s fisheries policy with an aim to develop the fishing industry and increase its competitiveness.
- Shapes the fields of Estonia’s feed safety, animal health, and farm animal breeding.
- Organises the assurance of food safety and conformity.