Jaak Aab is the Minister of Public Administration of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019. He is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
Jaak Aab was born on 9 April 1960 in Taagepera. He lives in a partnership and is a father of two daughters. Aab has been a member of the Estonian Centre Party as of 1994.
- In 2017–2018, he served as the Minister of Public Administration of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 2016–2017, he was the Secretary General of the Estonian Centre Party.
- In 2007–2011, he was a member of the XI Riigikogu and a deputy Chairman of the Social Affairs Committee.
- In 2005–2007, he was the Minister of Social Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 2003–2005, he served as the Chief Executive Officer of the Association of Estonian Cities.
- In 2002–2003, he was a member of the IX Riigikogu.
- In 1998–2002, he served as mayor of Võhma, and before that, as of 1994, the deputy mayor of Võhma.
Jaak Aab graduated from the University of Tallinn in Russian language and literature in 1986. He speaks Estonian, Finnish, Russian, and English.
Minister of Public Administration
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Public Administration is responsible for matters related to the civil service, state assets and public procurement, the government internal audit system, local and regional development, planning and coordinating regional administration and spatial planning. The minister will report to the Government of the Republic on activities in his areas of responsibility and make proposals on matters concerning the ministry’s area of government.
- Minister of Public Administration appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- Minister of Public Administration makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- Minister of Public Administration decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Finance
- Is the Government’s expert in the implementation of financial and budgetary policy and the targeting of the economy.
- Plans the tax and customs policy and maintains a stable tax system.
- Prepares economic analyses and forecasts.
- Consults procurers and tenderers in conducting public procurements and monitors public procurement.
- Collects official statistics.
- Co-ordinates and manages the implementation of the internal control system in the Government and the professional activities of an internal auditor.
- Performs public accounting and manages the national daily cash flow.
- Places the state’s financial assets and liabilities, administers the external aid and loans granted to the state, and co-ordinates the sharing of benefits allocated to Estonia.
- Develops the financial and insurance policy.