Alar Laneman is the Minister of the Interior of the Republic of Estonia from 18 November 2020. He is a member of the Conservative People's Party of Estonia.
Alar Laneman was born on 6 May 1962, in Vändra, he is married and the father of three daughters. Laneman joined the Conservative People's Party of Estonia in 2019.
In 2005 he was awarded the Order of Merit of the Cross of the Eagle III Class and was awarded the rank of Brigadier General in 2005.
Employment history and career
- During the period 2019-2020 he was a member of the XIV Rigiikogu, serving as the chairman of the Security Authorities Surveillance Select Committee.
- During the period 2011–2020 he served as an advisor to Milrem Robotics
- During the period 2011–2019 he was a teacher at Sauga Basic School
- During the period 2011–2016 he was an advisor to the Estonian Defence Industry Association (EDIA)
- In 2008 he served as Deputy Commander of the Defence Forces
- During the period 2002–2007 he served as the Chief of Staff of the Estonian Defence Forces
- During the period 2001–2002 he served as the Chief of Staff of the Army
- During the period 1995–1998 he served as Commander of the Baltic Battalion
- 1991–1995 Defence Forces
Alar Laneman graduated from the Tallinn Higher Military-Political Construction School in 1985, from the Swedish Defence University in 2001, and the Royal College of Defence Studies of the United Kingdom in 2007. He speaks Estonian, English, Swedish and Russian.