Mailis Reps was the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019 until 21.11.2020. She is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
Mailis Reps was born on 13 January 1975 in Tallinn. She is married and a mother of two daughters and four sons.
- M. Reps has served as the Minister of Education and Research of the Republic of Estonia in 2016–2019, 2005–2007, and 2002–2003.
- In 2007–2016, she was a member of the XI, XII, and XIII Riigikogu.
- In 2003–2007, she was a member of the X Riigikogu.
- In 2000–2009, she lectured on European and International Law and on International and Comparative Law at Riga Graduate School of Law.
Mailis Reps graduated from Tallinn Co-education Gymnasium in 1992, from Tallinn Bachelor’s Private School in 1993, from the Kalamazoo College (Michigan, USA) in social sciences in 1997, from the Nord University in law in 1998, from the Central European University (Budapest) in law in 1999, and from the Maastricht University in European Public Relations in 2000.
Minister of Education and Research
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Education and Research is responsible for purposeful and effective development of education, research, youth, and language policy and co-ordinates high-level development activities and ensuring competitiveness.
- The Minister of Education and Research leads the Ministry of Education and Research and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Education and Research to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Minister of Education and Research appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Education and Research makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry’s budget and supplementary budget, if appropriate. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Education and Research decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Education and Research
- Plans and carries out education, research, youth, and language policy.
- Develops national development plans in the policy areas belonging to its area of government and ensures their consistency with national and sectorial development plans.
- Performs state supervision over the compliance of national curricula and other educational standards and educational institutions.
- Develops national curricula and other educational standards and organises their preparation and accreditation.
- Regulates, among other things, the activities of the Language Inspectorate and the National Archives of Estonia.
- Has to ensure purposeful and effective development of adult education and the occupational qualifications system.
- Determines the optimal volume and structure of state benefits and state-commissioned education.
- Co-ordinates transnational recognition of academic degrees.
- Is engaged in the development and implementation of the funding system of research and development activities meeting the needs of the state.