Urve Palo is the Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology of the Republic of Estonia from 23 November 2016. She is a member of the Social Democratic Party.
- From 2015–2016, Urve Palo was a member of the 13th Riigikogu.
- In 2015, Urve Palo served as the Minister of Entrepreneurship of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 2011–2014, Urve Palo was a member of the 12th Riigikogu and the deputy chairperson of the Economic Affairs Committee of the Riigikogu.
- In 2009–2011, Urve Palo was the Assistant Mayor of the Viimsi Rural Municipality Government.
- In 2007–2009, Palo worked as the Minister of Population and Ethnic Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 1997–2007, Palo was the director of Saint-Gobain Isover AS. Before that, she worked as an accountant, head of export, and head of advertising at the same company.
- Born on July 10, 1972, in Haapsalu, Palo has graduated from Värska Secondary School and the University of Tartu with a Master’s degree (MBA) in Economy.
Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications
The Minister is appointed and released from office by the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of results of national economic policy.
- The Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications leads the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications submits proposals to the Government on the Ministry’s budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Economic Affairs and Communications decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
- Works to create conditions for increasing the competitiveness of the Estonian economy, and balanced and sustainable development through the development, implementation, and evaluation of results of national economic policy.
- Exercises the rights of a shareholder or a partner in companies, whose shares or units it rules.
- Administers the minimum stock of national liquid fuel.
- Develops and carries out national economic policy and economic development plans, and ensures that they are consistent with national priorities.
- Works in the name of enhancing the volume of technological development activities and raising innovation capability of businesses.
- Manages consumer protection and competition supervision.
- Develops and implements plans contributing to the development of public transport and enhancing the environmental friendliness and traffic safety of vehicles.
- Develops export and organises trade defence measures and is engaged in the matters related to regional business development.
- Co-ordinates the development of national information systems.