Taavi Aas is the Minister of Economy and Infrastructure of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019. He is a member of the Estonian Centre Party.
Taavi Aas was born on 10 January 1966 in Tallinn. He is married and a father of three. Taavi Aas became a member of the Estonian Centre Party in 2002 and is currently a member of the board of the party.
- In 2015–2019, he was the Mayor of Tallinn; before that, as of 2005, he served as Deputy Mayor of Tallinn.
- In 1997–2005, he was head of finance of the E-PIIM commercial association.
- In 1993–1997, he was the Chief Executive Officer of Põltsamaa Piimaühistu.
Aas graduated from the Estonian University of Life Sciences in agricultural economics and management in 1991. He speaks Estonian, English, Russian, and Finnish.
Minister of Economy and Infrastructure
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Economy and Infrastructure leads the development, implementation, and evaluation of results of national economic policy.
- The Minister of Economy and Infrastructure leads the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry’s area of government.
- The Minister of Economy and Infrastructure appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Economy and Infrastructure submits proposals to the Government on the Ministry’s budget and supplementary budget, if necessary. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Economy and Infrastructure decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry’s area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
- Works to create conditions for increasing the competitiveness of the Estonian economy, and balanced and sustainable development through the development, implementation, and evaluation of results of national economic policy.
- Exercises the rights of a shareholder or a partner in companies, whose shares or units it rules.
- Administers the minimum stock of national liquid fuel.
- Develops and carries out national economic policy and economic development plans, and ensures that they are consistent with national priorities.
- Works in the name of enhancing the volume of technological development activities and raising innovation capability of businesses.
- Manages consumer protection and competition supervision.
- Develops and implements plans contributing to the development of public transport and enhancing the environmental friendliness and traffic safety of vehicles.
- Develops export and organises trade defence measures and is engaged in the matters related to regional business development.
- Co-ordinates the development of national information systems.