Jüri Luik is the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia as of 29 April 2019. He is a member of the political party Isamaa.
Jüri Luik was born on 17 August 1966 in Tallinn. He is married and a father of one. He was awarded with the 3rd class of the Order of the National Coat of Arms in 2004 and has been conferred with the diplomatic rank of an ambassador.
- J. Luik has served as the Minister of Defence of the Republic of Estonia in 2017–2019, 1999–2002, and 1993–1994.
- In 2015–2017, he was Director of the International Centre for Defence and Security.
- In 2012–2015, he was Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to Moscow, in 2007–2012 to NATO, in 2003–2007 to Washington, and in 1996–1999 to Brussels.
- In 2002–2003, he headed the Estonian delegation in negotiations to join NATO at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- In 1994–1995, he was the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Estonia.
- In 1992–1993, he headed the delegation in the Estonia-Russia negotiations as a Minister without portfolio.
Jüri Luik graduated from the University of Tartu in journalism in 1989.
Minister of Defence
The minister shall be appointed to office by the President of the Republic on the proposal from the Prime Minister.
- The Minister of Defence is responsible for the organisation of national defence in the Republic of Estonia.
- The Minister of Defence leads the Ministry of Defence and decides on the matters within its area of government. Additionally, the Minister reports on the activities of the Ministry of Defence to the Government of the Republic and submits proposals on deciding over issues related to the Ministry's area of government.
- The Minister of Defence appoints service commanders and makes a proposal to the Government to appoint the Commander of the Defence Forces and the Chief of the General Staff of the Defence Forces and release them from office.
- The Minister of Defence appoints the heads of state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government as well as the deputy secretary generals and the heads of departments of the Ministry.
- The Minister of Defence makes proposals to the Government on the Ministry's budget and supplementary budget, if appropriate. At the same time, he decides on the use of budget resources and monitors the implementation of the budget. The Minister also approves the budgets of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of government on the basis of the state budget.
- The Minister of Defence decides on the establishment of the state authorities belonging to the Ministry's area of administration and approves their statutes, structure, and work organisation.
Ministry of Defence
- Organises national defence and makes proposals for national defence policy in this context.
- Develops the overall plan of national defence.
- Co-ordinates international defence co-operation.
- Organises the preparation and management of the mobilisation and calls for military conscription.
- Calculates the Defence Forces reserves and organises training sessions.
- Finances and equips the activities of the Defence Forces and the Defence League.
- Develops the Estonian defence industry.
- Supervises the activities of the Defence Forces and the Defence League.
- Regulates, among other things, the activities of the Information Board and the Defence Resources Agency.